Tech – Helsinki
Developers ahoy! We are looking for talented, mid to senior-level Backend Engineers to our growing team in Helsinki where our whole tech team is located. We’re looking for a person who has an endless thirst to learn and build our back-end – the ultimate knowledge sharing platform.
Currently we are developing our back-end with Golang, but it can be learned quite fast with different kind of technical backgrounds so no need to stress if it's not yet your biggest strength. We are currently working on a monolithic back-end but are moving towards microservices model. This means that in the future there might be more flexibility regarding the technical stack in our tech team.
You are definitely the one we are looking for if you:
- Have mid to senior-level backend development experience using, for instance, Golang, Java, Python etc.
- Are familiar with NoSQL databases as well
- Are interested in Unit testing and preferably have previous experience
- Have an attitude to become more of a full-stack developer (if you aren't one already)
- Are familiar and have experience with at least one of these buzzwords (preferably with more/all): TDD, Kafka/event sourcing, microservices
As our newest Backend Engineer you will:
- Continuously build a clean, testable, scalable (microservices) back-end used by Smarp app by utilizing CQRS and event sourcing (Kafka)
- Spin-off Smarp backend frequently used modules to open source
- Optimize all (Postgre) SQL queries using `EXPLAIN`
- Maintain API gateway (GraphQL)
- Minimize backend to database round trips
- Work with third party APIs and keep track of changes in them
- Perform debugging, quality control testing and response to user complaints
- Stay up-to-date on new technology, development tools and emerging standards
- Maintain documentation of RESTful endpoints and APIs to be used by (web) front-end and mobile apps
- Have the chance to show your potential for team lead position in future (if interested)
If the role description matches your interests, please have a look at our ebook on the Smarp Way of Working to see if Smarp is really calling out your name. You can also check us on Instagram and Facebook to have a better glimpse on our day-to-day life.
What to expect from the recruitment process:
We are looking for the most suitable people to join Smarp; we want it to be a match from both sides! We want to give you as much information and glimpses of life here at Smarp as possible. You’ll get to meet many Smarpers during the process, get to know our product and our culture. The process for this role looks like this:
- Phone/Skype call with our talent acquisition team
- Online tests
- First interview with the team participating in a live coding challenge
- Second interview with the hiring manager
- Third interview with one of our founders
We believe that without our people, Smarp would only be a bunch of laptops - and that’s why it’s super important to find talented professionals who fit our culture. We like spending time together; laughter and chatting can be heard every day at the office and we want to keep it that way.
Please send your application in PDF form through the link below as soon as possible but at the latest on December 31, 2018. We will start going through the applications already during the application period and close the role once we find the suitable people so be fast!
We promise to be in contact with you within a maximum of two weeks after the application deadline. For the communication we use emails so remember to check them regularly. If you have any questions, please contact our Talent Acquisition team member Maureen maureen.sills(at)smarp.com.